Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Day 1


Wednesday, August 3
With excellent help from Chiyoe to help carry my bike down to Kyoto, we were able to negotiate (plead) with the bus driver to let me take the bike on the bus. When you let people know you are going to be a henro (pilgrim) in Shikoku, they seem more willing to bend the rules a bit to help you on your way.

Even though it felt insanely hot (my Garmin registered 40 degrees while on the bike) it was not too bad pedaling along the river up the valley to the first temple. Because of the heat it seems like it is a low season here for pilgrims.

Finally made it to the first temple around 12:30.
 
Temple # 1, Ryozenji


I completed the first 5 temples and only saw maybe 10 henro. One guy on a bike (a mama chari, no less), about 5 walking henro, and the rest were visiting by car. 
Can't get away from cute, even in the temples--the temple pilgrimage mascot.  You see him at every temple.



The flat ride ended with the last two temples and the road back to my lodging. Now I'm starting to feel the weight of the packs (and I'm hot and tired to boot). Tomorrow's ride will be up the mountains to Shozanji, the second most difficult mountain temple on this pilgrimage I understand. Might be easier if I wasn't carrying around this beer belly...

No comments:

Post a Comment