Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 14


Day 14, August 16

Unfortunately today was off to a bad start I woke up early, planning to get to #70, Yamamotoji before it opened at 7:00. Before loading my bags on my bike I did the usual inspection, only to find that one of the spokes on my rear wheel was broken. Looks like I would spend the morning looking for a bike shop and fixing my bike. The clerk at the business hotel I stayed at was extremely helpful and he said he would call around until he found a shop that opened early and stocked bike parts. He did find one, and I had the bike fixed and was on the road by 11:00am, earlier than expected given the circumstances. Seems like my bicycle is starting to feel its age, and I can only hope it makes it the rest of the way.

Flowers in bloom at Yamamotoji


The temples this day were remarkably picturesque, and some were outfitted with shops selling pilgrimage goods.

Pink is the in-fashion color for this year's henro.   This charming outfit will ensure you complete your pilgrimage in style!

My favorite had to be Iyadaniji, a temple built into a hillside that one had to climb 500+ steps to get to the main building. At the top, they had a room open to the public showing what was allegedly Kobo Daishi's study when he was young.

Steps up to Iyadaniji


Still more stairs...not there yet

Study where Kobo Daishi allegedly practiced from age 7 to 13 in the late 8th century


That evening I stayed at a small Ryokan before temple #80. To my surprise Inoue-san, the other guy I ran into doing the temples by bicycle, showed up later that evening. He was a couple temples ahead of me, and planned on finishing the next day before returning to the Tokyo area.

No comments:

Post a Comment