Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 7


Day 7, August 9

Sunrise from my hotel room


I woke up to an early sunrise over the bay. I got a fairly late start but managed to make it to temple #36, Shōryūji by noon. 


Temple #35, Kiyotakiji

From there to my target for the evening was a 60km trip with two possible routes, one which followed an inland fjord and the other which traveled along the coast. I chose the latter without taking too close a look at the map. It turns out that route is called “Skyline Road,” and for a reason. It climbs up to a ridge a couple hundred meters above the ocean and then follows the ridgeline. Beautiful, but tiring.

View from Skyline Road

I wasn't able to make it to temple #37, Iwamotoji, before it closed, but luckily I found a nice ryokan right next to the temple. The ryokan, Bima Ryokan, had a quaint, old feel to it, and the owners were extremely friendly. After a good dinner and a small bottle of the local junmai sake, I was off to bed.

Bima Ryokan

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eric,
    I have been reading your blog.
    You really enjoying your bike ride, but seems there are many mountain temples.
    Hope you are still in good shape. Please be careful from heatstroke.

    Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. More good food! Looks like you have also had decent weather. Are those 90+ degree days over, or maybe your catching some nice coastal breezes. Keep the rubber side down.

    ReplyDelete