Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 6

Day 6, August 8

Ready to climb that mountain behind me...the temple is at the top


I got an early start to the day, leaving my bags at the ryokan for the 350+ meter climb to Kōnomineji.  Hard climb, but instead of the usual basin of water to wash your hands at the temple, there was a waterfall that fell into a pool that was used instead.  It was cool and beautiful.


Waterfall at Kōnomineji 

This guy will throw you off the mountain if you're not careful


Kōnomineji was then followed by the long bike ride into Kōchi city. I was not sure I could make it all the way to my target, temple #32, Zenjifuji, because I kept getting lost in the side streets.  Finally between #29 and #30 a lady on a bicycle stopped and asked where I was headed.  When I told her where I was going, she offered to lead me all the way to #32.  The lady, Nishikawa-san, was in her mid 50s but had made the pilgrimage on bicycle 20 years ago.

Hats to keep the Buddhas warm...


Thanks to her I made it all the way to Zenjifuji, arriving 15 minutes before closing.  At zenjifuji I was able to make a last-minute reservation at a hotel on a small peninsula overlooking the bay, and finished the day in their hot spring and eating a delicious dinner including Kōchi katsuo-tataki.


1 comment:

  1. I'm starting to see a theme to your trip, good food, umami

    ReplyDelete