Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 5


Day 5, August 7

As I bike into Kochi, the temples are much more spread out now, and there are few mountain temples. I finally am able to put in my first 100+ km day as I cycle from temple 23, Yakuōji, to Temple 24, Hotsumisakiji. There is not much to discuss except the endless, beautiful coastline (made slightly less beautiful because I was fighting a strong headwind for the whole 74 km).

Almost looks like Hawaii...well, maybe not

After Hotsumisakiji, I pushed on to number 25, Shinshōji, and finally number 26, Kongōchōji, barely making it in time before they closed for the day. I finished off the day trying to find a ryokan that would make a quick start to the mountain temple Kōnomineji the next morning. I found one, and enjoyed the evening cycle into the small hamlet. 

Evening surf in Kochi

After a quick meal of ramen and gyoza at an extremely friendly restaurant (they made an onigiri bento for me for the next day, free of charge) I arrived at the evening's lodging. Not very nice, but since I was in worse shape I figured it would do as a place to crash for the evening.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you posting again. It does look tropical and a free bento lunch to boot, nice

    ReplyDelete