Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 13


Day 13, August 15

The day started off with an early morning visit to Maekamiji just as the temple opened. Then it was off on a 45 km ride and climb to #65, Sankakuji, which really started to tire me out. On the way out of the temple there was a group of housewives handing out free juice and asking people to sign a petition to keep relations good between husband and wife. Always one to foster good relations between husband and wife, I signed the petition and enjoyed a cup of juice (red plum and shiso...delicious). It was so good I wanted to ask for another cup, but was afraid I would have to sign the petition again...

Steps to Sankakuji, and the ladies offering juice halfway up


From there it was another 30 km, ending in a long, hot climb with no shade to the ropeway leading to Unpenji, a temple nestled at 880m in the mountains.

Entrance to Unpenji from the ropeway

Taking a break at Unpenji...it's much cooler at 800m

Statues of the 500 Arhats of Buddhism



The day ended down in the city of Kannonji, after visiting the temple of that name. I finished the day with a meal at a shot bar called Tennessee Annex. Kind of expensive, but the food was good and since I was the only customer (still early evening) I was able to have a good conversation with the bartenders. And the bartender offered me a free bourbon (Clementine) to finish the evening off.

Dinner and drinks at Tennessee Annex in Kannonji


No comments:

Post a Comment